Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tiny Yellow Flags

In the grade 3 class, our teacher announced that we will have an important visitor the next day, February 22. To welcome him, we will prepare tiny flags using yellow paper. That night, I tossed in my sleep, wondering who is our visitor? What does he look like? I already imagined our town plaza teeming with people, schoolchildren in front waving their tiny flags. After a few minutes, I finally said my bedtime prayers. But then, my mind was wondering again.... Maybe he has some good news to tell us ..or maybe he just want to visit his flock. Him, being the highest officer in the Catholic church as we were told. That made me more excited ..

Morning came, I woke up early, wore my best school uniform. Right after lunch, we were told to proceed to the town plaza and wait there for the visitor to arrive at exactly 3 o"clock in the afternoon. We braved the heat of the sun, squinting our eyes.. continually asking our teacher for the time. Until it was 2:45pm. The crowd began singing a song..all of a sudden, my heart began to beat wildly... excitement was covered with sudden loneliness ..and.I feel like crying...

In the sea of people, I could see my Uncle Prospero from afar .. he seemed to be looking for someone. So, I called out to him and he went straight to me. Without saying anything, he scooped me out from the crowd . We boarded his bike ... straight to the local hospital. Upon climbing the steps, he clasped my hands firmly and whispered, your Mama wants to see you. I ran straight to her room. There I saw Papa already fainting and was made to lie on the other bed. Kneeling down.... i slowly touched my Mama on the check, and was about to kiss her. But then she grabbed me close... holding me tight... tighter and tighter... until I could cry. Then ... she let go of her hold... Only then, it dawned on me... that it was already goodbye... and she will never come back again..

Tears were blurring my eyes... but still, I could see the tiny yellow flags scattered on the floor. I missed to see the Cardinal in person, but i am more than happy to hug my mom for the last time.


3 comments:

  1. waaah, made me shed a tear!:-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. kakaiyakever! sino yung bisita? santo papa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is Tita Cory's death anniversary. And I saw those little yellow flags again.

    ReplyDelete